The Muschopauge House
Built in 1883 on the historic spot of the old tavern and the present Community Hall. The Muschopauge House did a wonderful business in the days of horse and buggy. The hotel had accommodations for more than 100 overnight guests. Later the Muschopauge House changed it’s name to Hotel Bartlett, after the builder, Charles R. Bartlett, a native of Rutland. After Mr. Bartlett’s death, the business was carried on by the Bartlett estate until the property was sold to the Town of Rutland in 1929. A son of Charles R. Bartlett designed the present Community Hall.
On June 22, 1924, around 11 p.m. about 35 men and a few women appeared looking for accommodations. They were Republican Senators from Rhode Island leaving the state in order to prevent the passage of certain legislation by causing a lack of a quorum. They stayed in Rutland for six months.
Prison Camp and Hospital
In 1903 the General Court established an industrial camp for prisoners to reclaim and improve wasted lands. The Commonwealth purchased 914 acres in Rutland. A dormitory and other buildings were built and upon completion prisoners moved in. The prisoners were serving sentences for drunkenness and other minor offenses. The prisoners created a working farm of 150 acres. The farm produced potatoes that were shipped to the state prison. The dairy barn housed 60 pure-bred Holsteins, which produced enough milk to send to Worcester. Bringing in a yearly profit of $5,000.00. $11,000 income was brought in from the selling of eggs.
In 1907 a 30 bed hospital has been built for the prisoners who were afflicted with tuberculosis. Due to the fact that the property was on the drainage area of water supply, the Prison Camp and Hospital was abandoned on November 30, 1934. The land and buildings were sold to the Metropolitan District Water Supply Commission.