Skip Navigation
Welcome to the website for the town of Rutland, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.

On Our Site
Search Our Site
Site  This Folder
 
Advanced Search
 
May 29, 2012
Board of Selectmen
May 29, 2012
Community Hall Annex
6:00 pm

Present:  Leroy C. Clark, Chairman; Michael Pantos, Clerk; Joseph R. Becker and Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary.  Sheila Dibb arrived at 6:10 and Peter Letsky arrived at 7:50 pm.

Mr. Becker moved to sign Treasury warrant #24 and payroll.  Mr. Pantos seconded.  Vote unanimous.

Mr. Becker moved to accept the minutes of April 25, 2012 as presented.  Mr. Pantos seconded.  Vote unanimous.

DPW:
Superintendent Kellaher stated that the joint meeting of area superintendents went well and all are willing to work together regarding road materials and chemicals, etc.
Bid awards opened last Thursday.  See attached.  Mr. Becker moved to accept the recommendation of the Superintendent for the listed materials as presented.  Mr. Pantos seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Constellation Energy to be discussed at the next meeting.
Town Hall siding work is moving along well and looks great.
Some discussion on the primary building and the costs covered in original article.  All work towards demolition would be covered.
Library repairs – short discussion; may have to wait until a Fall special town meeting, rather than using state aid.
Alexis Thibodeau came before the Board seeking a water abatement.  She explained her situation and after some discussion on meter calibration and testing, she will gather paperwork and come back on June 11th.
Ms. Dibb questioned Mr. Kellaher on the Marsh baseball field fence – DPW will supply labor.

POLICE:
Chief arrived late due to an arrest that occurred shortly before the meeting began.  He stated that the officer on duty was assaulted, but was not injured and he is extremely concerned with shifts having only one officer on duty.  Mr. Becker applauded the Police Department for a job well done during the Memorial Day parade.  Officer Downey got certified in “Active Shooter Training”.

FIRE:
Acting Chief Knipe has applied for a DCR grant that has a 50% reimbursement.  Energy audit of the public safety building is complete. National Grid has a program in place that will pay 70% of the cost.  Discussion on upgrading, lighting replacements, interest free loan & savings, etc.  Mr. Pantos suggested the DPW have an energy audit done.
Went out for an RFP for Ambulance Billing Service – bid opening today; three vendors. Mr. Knipe foresees a large savings in billing services for the future.

OPEN SESSION:
Ken Lowe and Chief Zbirowski of Ashburnham of the Fire Chief Search Committee came before the Board to inform the Selectmen that there was some discrepancy between the job description and job posting.  Lengthy discussion.  The applicants who’ve applied will be notified that it was being reposted, but they need not reapply.  The Committee will fine tune the description and bring back to the June 11th meeting.  Mr. Pantos moved to allow the Committee to revamp the job description and bring back for review by the Selectmen before reposting.  Mr. Becker seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Gary Ward, Interim Recreation Director, came before the Board to inform that the pool will be opened on June 16th and Summer Fun  Program will begin July 9th.  Staff has been hired.  Mr. Ward would like a direct line to police department or walkie talkies in the event of an emergency at the pool.  Chief Haapakoski will take care of that.

NEW BUSINESS:
Regarding department liaisons, the Board will make choices for discussion at a future meeting.
Lengthy discussion on the possibility of increasing the commercial building permit fees with emphasis on solar projects.  Ms. Dibb stated that she spoke to Mr. Travers, the Building Commissioner, as well as Tom Dufault from the RDIC with respect to the development of the Rutland Heights property.  Questions on cost to building department and whether the fees are covering the costs.  Mr. Pantos will draft a letter to CMRPC to ascertain whether they have a database that would contain surrounding towns’ fee schedule to see if we are in line with towns of similar size.  Memo will be sent to Rick Travers requesting his recommendation on fees/costs.  Mr. Pantos moved to send the memo to Rick Travers for his input on building permit fees/costs for the June 11th meeting.  Mr. Becker seconded.  Vote unanimous.

OLD BUSINESS:
Chairman Clark stated that a note came from the Bell family explaining that their dog was moved to Georgia with a family member and was killed by a motor vehicle.  Letter will be sent to the Bells asking for more information.

CORRESPONDENCE:
Letter from DCAM looking for space to lease.  Nothing available presently in town.
Letter of complaint from citizen regarding the timeliness in which he is receiving his tax bills. Sent to Town Clerk’s office.  Will respond to citizen outlining the structure of the Treasurer/Collector’s office.

Mr. Pantos moved to enter into executive session for Reason #3: To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the bargaining or litigating position of the public body and the chair so declares and to return to regular session for adjournment purposes only.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Letsky aye, Dibb aye, Clark aye, Pantos aye, Becker aye.
ADJOURN:
Mr. Becker moved to adjourn.  Mr. Pantos seconded.  Vote unanimous.  Meeting adjourned at 8 pm.

Respectfully submitted,



Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary
Board of Selectmen



 
Town of Rutland 250 Main Street, Rutland, MA 01543   Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website