Skip Navigation
Welcome to the website for the town of Rutland, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.

On Our Site
Search Our Site
Site  This Folder
 
Advanced Search


 
September 7, 2010
Board of Selectmen
September 7, 2010
Community Hall Annex
6:00 pm

Present:  Sheila H. Dibb, Chairman, Joseph R. Becker, Vice-Chairman, Leroy C. Clark, Cherilyn A. Bulger and Michael S. Pantos.

Mr. Becker moved to sign Treasury Warrant #5.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.

Minutes:  Mr. Clark moved to accept the meeting minutes from August 23, 2010 as presented.  Mr. Becker seconded.  Vote 4 to 1 with Ms. Bulger abstaining.

DPW:
Mr. Kellaher suggested the front entrance to the town hall remain open and the rear be closed with grass or curb.  Some discussion.  Mr. Becker stated that he is not in favor of closing the rear entrance.  An ordinance would be needed for a change to the front of the driveway (and ticketing).

Mr. Kellaher recommended vinyl siding for the exterior restoration of the town hall.  Mrs. Dibb would like to hold until May as a capital project.  Mr. Becker recommended it go on the capital project list.  Ms. Bulger questioned the issue of the paint.

Central Tree Estates:  Superintendent Kellaher informed the Board that the development is complete.  Fire Chief Ruchala stated that the new hydrant is in and provides the coverage needed.  Chief Ruchala stated he will provide the waiver letter required for the town engineers regarding the second hydrant.

Sewer moratorium:  Mr. Kellaher spoke with DEP and would like to place it on the September 13, 2010 agenda.  Mr. Kellaher stated that DCR is requesting a letter be sent to them from the Rutland BOS to have their legal department review the documents.  Mr. Becker would like to review the timeline of the DCR project and is not in favor of any extension.  Mrs. Dibb would like to see how Worcester is doing with the construction.  Ms. Bulger and Mr. Becker feel the allocation is the only issue.

Mr. Kellaher has questions on the union contracts.  Mr. Becker and Ms. Bulger will represent the Board.

Mr. Kellaher stated that the Rutland Little League has asked to put a sprinker system in the new ball field at Memorial.  There are issues of water supply, cost and maintenance.  The consensus of the Board was to not allow the installation of a sprinkler system.

Mr. Kellaher questioned the Board on what to do with the cord wood that National Grid dropped off and would they like to sell it.  The Board would like him to get an RFP to sell the wood as a single purchase.

Cool Sandy Beach:  Mr. Kellaher stated that he spoke with Mr. Gibbs and that the DPW will plow the area as is.

Trench Box:  Mr. Kellaher informed the Board that he will apply for a $5,000 grant for a trench box.

Rutland Heights:  Per the Superintendent, the project is moving forward very well and he is attending the weekly Friday meetings.

Replanting of Trees:  Grant for $10,000 – letter of intent on replanting of trees.  Mrs. Dibb will sit down with Mr. Kellaher to discuss.

Mr. Pantos questioned Mr. Kellaher about the road between Central Tree Middle School to Naquag Elementary School to which Mr. Kellaher replied he is in the process of getting a machine to remove ruts.

POLICE:
Sergeant Friberg reported that the internal posting is done and officer Travis W. McCauley was the only officer to respond and is being recommended by Chief Baril and himself.  Mr. Becker spoke to Officer McCauley of the conditions regarding a three-year pay back and full-time appointment.  Mr. Pantos made a motion to recommend the appointment of Travis W. McCauley to full-time status subject to an exemption of MPTC and all pre-employment conditions including the repayment of the cost of the academy if no three-year commitment.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Discussion.  Vote unanimous.

FIRE:
$168,000 for radio equipment from Homeland Security (base station, mobile and portable).  Chief Ruchala explained that this will be for current towns and new towns coming in to the regional system.  Mr. Becker congratulated the Chief.  Mr. Pantos asked about any H/R updates.  Chief Ruchala answered that he has one applicant left to interview for the position.

OPEN SESSION:
James Soucy (Chapter 61A issue on Maple Avenue property) – Mr. Soucy’s attorney, Gerald Powers, asked if the 61A applies or not – roll back taxes not resolved.  Mrs. Dibb explained that the 61A states no change as of today.  Mr. Becker questioned what the Board is waiting for to determine what action, if any, the Board needs to take.  He also questioned whether the roll back taxes keep the property in Chapter 61A.  Mrs. Dibb stated that she spoke with Town Counsel and that there is nothing in writing.  Mr. Robert Liptak, 319 Main Street, informed the Board of forms that need to be filled out for land to come out of Chapter 61A.  Ms. Bulger questioned whether the Registry of Deeds shows a 61A on the property.  Attorney Powers explained the process of Chapter 61A.  Continued to September 20, 2010.  In the meantime, town counsel is to be contacted to determine (1) whether the unpaid rollback taxes prevent the property from coming out of 61A status and (2) whether the Board needs to take any action on the property.

Mr. Becker asked the Landmark to print that there are two items on the ballot for the upcoming primary.  Dick Williams recommended a photo shoot.  Mr. Becker stated that the tax increase for both would be $22.47 per $300,000 home.

Next agenda:  Regionalization of town departments (Skip).
Mr. Pantos moved to enter into Executive Session for Reason #3 and to return to open session for adjournment purposes only.  Pantos aye, Bulger aye, Becker aye, Clark aye, Dibb aye.

ADJOURN:
Mr. Clark moved to adjourn.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.  Meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm.

Respectfully submitted,



Michael S. Pantos, Clerk
Board of Selectmen







 
Town of Rutland 250 Main Street, Rutland, MA 01543   Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website