Skip Navigation
Welcome to the website for the town of Rutland, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.

On Our Site
Search Our Site
Site  This Folder
Advanced Search

July 26, 2010
Board of Selectmen
July 26, 2010
Community Hall Annex
6:00 pm

Present:  Sheila H. Dibb, Chairman, Leroy C. Clark, Cherilyn A. Bulger.  Joseph R. Becker was absent and Michael Pantos arrived at 6:35 p.m.

Treasury Warrants #28 and #2 – Ms. Bulger moved to sign Treasury Warrants #28 and #2.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.

Acceptance of meeting minutes was held until the full Board is present.

Superintendent Kellaher stated that he would like to fill the recent vacancy in the water department with his seasonal DPW employee.  Chairman Dibb explained that it should be posted internally (5-days) with that employee officially applying.  A custodial employee will be out for approximately 12 weeks due to knee surgery and he is requesting an additional seasonal employee.  His part-time clerical position is also open, but his preference is to keep people on the road.  Ms. Bulger moved to post internally for the full-time position and two seasonal positions.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Mr. Kellaher recommended a sewer abatement for Thomas P. Ruchala, Trustee of 108 Maple Avenue for $1,012.46.  Mr. Clark moved the Superintendent’s recommendation.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Some discussion on a wastewater treatment plant.  Ms. Bulger asked Mr. Kellaher to look into getting plans from similar towns to Rutland so the Board could review them.  Mr. Kellaher asked the Board if they would like a presentation by the engineers at a BOS meeting and/or town meeting.  Mrs. Dibb feels the water tank is more important at this point.  The Superintendent will try to schedule a presentation by the engineers on either September 13th or 16th.
Mr. Kellaher submitted reports from Cullinan Engineers on the Central Tree Estates hydrant situation.  All reports refer to the hydrants being removed from the approved plan.  Mr. Kellaher stated that the Fire Chief would be satisfied if they put just the one in at the four corners.   The DPW Superintendent feels like a meeting should be set with Planning Board, DPW, two Selectmen, the developer, the developer’s engineer and the town’s engineer and will check with everyone regarding their availability.  Gary will update the Board on the meeting at its next meeting on August 9th.
Mrs. Dibb questioned an illegal dumping problem on Hope Ridge to which Mr. Kellaher agreed there was a problem.  The police could patrol if the gate was left open.  The police chief suggested blocking it off completely, but will patrol the area.  Cindy Liptak from the Rutland Land Conservancy suggested leaving the gate open so more people could access the area for recreation and less dumping would occur.

Chief Baril stated that with Warrant #28 being signed, fiscal year 2010 is finished and on budget.  The chief handed in his schedule for the remainder of his time.  He stated that he received a thank you note and a cake from Devereux School.  Mrs. Dibb stated that Devereux submitted a donation PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) for $10,000.  Chief Baril informed the Board that his office is preparing for the transition of chiefs.

The fire chief is on vacation – Deputy Chief Kevin McCarthy attended the meeting in his absence.  He stated that all the shifts are being filled.  A paramedic will be leaving permanently due to back surgery.  Mr. Clark questioned Mr. McCarthy on any updates with the cell tower; he had no information.

6:30 Robert Remillard – candidate for the seat on the WRSDC being vacated by Mike Pantos.  He gave some background information on himself.  He’s very impressed with Rutland.  Mr. Pantos asked him if he was aware of the time commitment to which he replied that he was.  Several questions were asked of him and he stated that he has a strong financial background and feels he would be an asset in dealing with budget process and that he did follow this past year’s budget cycle.   He would run for the seat at the next election, not just serve as interim.

7:00 Jose Martinez – candidate for the seat on the WRSDC being vacated by Mike Pantos.  He gave his background information.  Admitted that he is not very strong in the financial aspect, but is a very strong advocate in the education/academic area.  He is well aware of the time commitment and feels communication and good relationships work positively on any committee.  He would work with other board members to make sound decisions and would run for the seat after serving as interim.

At the conclusion of the meeting, the Board discussed the three candidates (Bernice Anderson withdrew prior to the interviews).  Mr. Cornacchioli was interviewed last week.  Mr. Clark moved to appoint Mr. Remillard to the vacant seat.  There was no immediate second.  After some discussion, Mr. Pantos seconded Mr. Clark’s motion.  Vote 3 to 1 with Ms. Bulger being the nay vote.

Mr. Williams is concerned about the traffic “cut through” behind town hall.  Speed bumps, gates and signage were discussed.  Mr. Kellaher will contact the police chief to discuss signage.

Addison Redfield commended the DPW Superintendent on a job well done with the paving project on Glenwood Road.

Mr. Clark informed the Board that he offered the Selectmen’s help in the transition with the Administrative Assessor’s departure this week.

Chairman Dibb introduced a Chapter 61A (272 Maple Avenue) received recently in the Selectmen’s office.  The process has begun.
Letter from the ABCC regarding new hours on Sunday for pouring establishments if the town has accepted Chapter 138, s33B.  This office will check to see if the chapter and statutes have been adopted by this town.  Will add to next agenda.  Addison Redfield, on behalf of the Rutland Business Association, urged the Board to adopt the referenced chapter as a benefit to businesses in town.

Mr. Clark moved to accept the resignation of Michael Pantos from the WRSDC.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous with Mr. Pantos abstaining.  Julianne Kelly thanked Mr. Pantos for his service on the committee.

Mrs. Dibb would like the Board members to think about and submit goals they would like to see achieved during the next fiscal year – will add to next meeting agenda.

Chairman Dibb suggested forming an ad hoc/temporary parks & open space committee to look into grants for work in Putnam Park, Hope Ridge and other parks in town.  Mr. Clark stated that a committee is already in place to which Mrs. Dibb replied that the committee was specifically for implementing an open space plan not necessarily for parks.  Mr. Pantos suggested contracting with an agency to investigate possible grants and would be paid based on performance.  Some discussion.

Mrs. Dibb spoke on the roadway between Rutland Heights Hospital and CTMS.  Mr. Clark strongly suggested letting the RDIC handle it as they have been involved since the beginning and to get updates from them.  Mr. Kellaher stated that he has a meeting tomorrow, July 27th, and will report back to the Board at the next meeting.

Mr. Pantos moved to sign a transfer for legal expenses for $1614.29 from Account 422-5532 to 151-5200.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.

Ms. Bulger moved to add the following two proposition two and one-half debt exclusion questions to the state election ballot:

Shall the Town of Rutland be allowed to exempt from the provisions of proposition two and one-half, so called, the amounts required to pay for the bond issued as voted at the Annual Town Meeting of May 15, 2010 in order to purchase a Fire Apparatus Pumper:
                        YES _____               NO _____

Shall the Town of Rutland be allowed to exempt from the provisions of proposition two and one-half, so called, the amounts required to pay for the bond issued as voted at the Annual Town Meeting of May 15, 2010 in order to purchase a DT-466 International Snow-fighter, cab and chassis plus a full metal jacket:
                        YES _____               NO _____
Mr. Pantos seconded.  Vote unanimous.

Regarding the police chief search committee, Mr. Becker had a question for the Board which was relayed through the chair.  The search committee wanted to know how the Board felt about a full-time police chief having outside employment.  The board agreed that the person should be available 24/7 and not hold outside employment.

Mr. Williams was called upon to update the Board on a recent CMRPC meeting he attended.  Mr. Williams would like to table this item until the fire chief returns from vacation as he was also at the meeting.

Review of next agenda: meeting minutes held from this agenda, goals, update on CTMS, update on RHH, regionalization of building department.

Mr. Clark moved to adjourn.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.  Meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary
Board of Selectmen

Town of Rutland 250 Main Street, Rutland, MA 01543   Disclaimer   Nondiscrimination Statement
Virtual Towns & Schools Website