Board of Selectmen
December 28, 2009
Community Hall Annex
Present: Leroy C. Clark – Chairman, Joseph R. Becker, Cherilyn A. Bulger, Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary. Sheila H. Dibb arrived at 6:07 pm.
Ms. Bulger moved to sign Treasury Warrant #13. Mr. Becker seconded. Vote unanimous.
Mr. Becker moved to accept the December 14, 2009 minutes as presented. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
REPORT OF TOWN DEPARTMENTS
Discussion regarding the winter maintenance letter being sent to owners of unaccepted subdivisions. Will be sent within 10 days. Mrs. Dibb approved sending the letter. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
A letter from National Grid was read announcing streetlight rate increases. Mr. Kellaher will contact our representative from National Grid to discuss. Mr. Becker requested that Mr. Kellaher check with Constellation Energy to see if there may be a long-term contract for the supply portion of the bill that we may lock into.
DPW Superintendent Kellaher informed the Board that a DPW worker has been injured recently and will be out for 6-9 months. He requested the Board approve the hiring of a seasonal (6-month), 40-hour employee (no benefits). Mr. Becker suggested looking into whether or not a posting/advertising is necessary. Mrs. Dibb moved the Superintendent’s recommendation on hiring a 6-month temporary/seasonal employee. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
Primary Building update – The Superintendent stated that moving the heating system from the primary building to the Town Hall would run between $7,000 - $10,000. He is meeting with an architect on Wednesday at 9 am and will report back to the Board. Mrs. Dibb stated that she spoke to Senator Brewer and there may be grant money available.
Cherry picker has been used for the month of December to removed hangers left from ice storm.
Chief Baril recommended the hiring of Kelly A. Donahue as the new police department secretary at a step 3, 32 hours per week. Mr. Becker moved the Chief’s recommendation in hiring Kelly A. Donahue. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
Fire Chief has nothing for the Board. The Chairman questioned the Chief on an invoice submitted for an upcoming conference. The Chief stated that it is for his yearly classroom & seminar (not overnight). The invoice will be added to next warrant.
William Sbrogna (Sbrogna’s Wholesale Outlet Motors) – Class II License
All paperwork submitted and books examined. Mr. Becker moved to sign the Class II license. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
6:30 – Continuation of a road hearing (Cameron Drive)
Mr. Soucy stated that they are next on the list in getting the paperwork back from the state (conservation restriction). Mr. Kellaher stated that his only issue is the mailboxes which are private and has nothing to do with the engineering of the road. Mr. Becker moved to continue the hearing to January 25, 2010 at 6:30 pm. Ms. Bulger seconded.
7:00 – Continuation of a road hearing (various Blair roads)
No one present. Mr. Becker moved to continue the hearing to January 25, 2010. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
Addison Redfield, Cable Advisory Committee – they voted to appoint an individual to oversee operation, programming and broadcasting in a voluntary position with the Channel 11 studio and inquired if the regular appointment process applies for a non-committee member. Mr. Becker feels the recognition is necessary and the Board should ratify the Committee’s recommendation. Mr. Redfield further explained that it would be an indefinite appointment with the hopes of making it a paid part-time position. Mr. Becker further explained that the PEG agreement recommends that someone hold this title. Mr. Becker moved to appoint Howard Root as Program Director per the Cable Advisory Committee’s recommendation. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous. It will be posted when it becomes a paid
position. A job description is in the PEG agreement and they will amplify it when it becomes necessary.
- Letter from ISO regarding the building code effectiveness grading schedule classification results. Harry Johnson, Building Inspector, could not explain the specifics so Joe Becker will contact them.
- MMA voting designee. Mrs. Dibb is planning to attend. Mr. Becker moved to designate Mrs. Dibb as representative from Rutland for the Annual MMA Meeting. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
- WRSD Representative – Mrs. Dibb attended this meeting two years ago and explained that the vote is taken among the people present. She will go but is not comfortable being the rep (particularly with the collective bargaining process). Mr. Becker moved Sheila Dibb as the representative to select the representative to the WRSD. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
- Letter from National Grid re: heribicide application along power line rights-of-way in Rutland. Mr. Kellaher will speak with the Conservation Commission and the Board of Health. Mrs. Dibb prefers mechanical or anything other than heribide. Mr. Kellaher will contact National Grid to ascertain what chemicals will be used and if any hearings are necessary.
- Parking Clerk position – the Board has received three letters of interest in the position. Letters will be sent to all three inviting them to the next meeting to introduce themselves.
Letter from the COA recommending Bernice Anderson be appointed to the WRTA. Mr. Becker moved to accept the COA recommendation of Bernice Anderson to the WRTA. Mrs. Dibb seconded. Vote unanimous.
Mrs. Dibb drafted a letter to the WRSD requesting their end of year report which was submitted in September, 2009. Ms. Bulger moved sending the letter requesting a true and complete copy of their end of year financial report. Mr. Becker seconded. Vote unanimous.
Mrs. Dibb stated that she heard the Chapter 71 money was being reinstated and would be announced publicly tomorrow.
Mr. Becker spoke about the electronic communication policy after speaking with Horace Moody. Some discussion. He would like the policy sent to department heads for any input/feedback before adopting.
Reminder: January 7th meeting with Finance Committee.
Mrs. Dibb moved to adjourn. Mr. Becker seconded. Vote unanimous. Meeting adjourned at 8 pm.
Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary
Board of Selectmen