Board of Selectmen
November 30, 2009
Community Hall Annex
Present: Leroy C. Clark – Chairman, Joseph R. Becker, Sheila H. Dibb, Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary. Cherilyn A. Bulger – Vice Chairman arrived at 6:05 pm.
Mr. Becker moved to sign Treasury Warrant #11. Mrs. Dibb seconded. Vote unanimous.
Mrs. Dibb moved to accept the November 9, 2009 minutes as presented. Mr. Becker seconded. Vote unanimous.
Mrs. Dibb moved to accept the November 12, 2009 minutes as presented. Mr. Becker seconded. Vote unanimous.
REPORT OF TOWN DEPARTMENTS
1. DPW Superintendent submitted the rates for plowing and sanding unaccepted subdivisions – the rates remain unchanged from previous years. Lengthy discussion. Mrs. Dibb and Mr. Becker would like to have contact with all developers to ascertain their intentions for the entire winter season and not on a storm-by-storm basis. Mrs. Dibb will meet with Gary Kellaher to draft a letter.
2. A meeting will be posted for Monday, December 7, 2009 at 6 pm to discuss only sewer rules and regulations. Attorney Cranston will be invited.
3. Lengthy discussion on the primary building. Mr. Becker made a motion to look to recoup / reuse whatever we can through sale of any good materials in the building in preparation to raze the building by placing an article on the annual town meeting warrant to reallocate / redirect the money toward razing the primary building. Ms. Bulger seconded for discussion. Vote 3 to 1 (Mrs. Dibb, nay).
4. The Superintendent will meet with DCAM and Tom Dufault at Rutland Heights on Thursday at 9 am.
- Chief Baril stated that all Class I, II & III license holders are in compliance.
- He has received four applications for the secretarial position and will hold interviews this week with the hope of having a recommendation for the next meeting.
- The Rutland Police Department has been recognized by AAA for their efforts in traffic and pedestrian safety.
- Office Chauvin received a thank you letter from a family he helped whose baby was not breathing.
- The Jimmy Fund canisters placed at various town businesses by the police department yielded $500+ and was sent to Dana Farber.
- Chief Ruchala stated that they will be receiving a SAFE Grant for $1912 which is down from $3100 last year.
- All fire and building inspections for liquor license requirements have been completed.
- Chief Ruchala submitted an outline of upcoming workshops regarding regional dispatch and the Board is invited to any or all. One will be held on January 4, 2010 in Rutland.
- Firefighter of the Year Awards will be held at the Hanover Theater in Worcester at 2 pm this Thursday, December 3, 2009. The program for the Worcester Warehouse fire will be held at 5 pm.
- The holiday lunch will be held on Thursday, December 10th at the fire station.
6:30 – Public Hearing (Cameron Drive) – DPW Superintendent stated that he has not received a punch list but sees very few corrections needed – the road is in good shape. Mr. Soucy stated that the Board voted to lay out Cameron Drive in 2005 with the “open space” removed and now is submitting the corrected paperwork. Still awaiting signed paperwork from the state (conservation restriction). The Planning Board recommends not to accept at this time. Mr. Becker feels that the laying out has been done and it should move on to the next step. Lengthy discussion – will refer to Town Counsel. Several residents came forward to voice their concerns over pedestrian safety / speed limit and the need for speed bumps or signage. Lengthy discussion. They
will meet with Gary Kellaher to review signage. Mr. Becker moved to continue the hearing to December 28, 2009 at 6:30 pm. Mrs. Dibb seconded. Vote unanimous.
7:00 – Public Hearing (Blair Roads) – No one was present. Mr. Kellaher stated that he met with Clea Blair, Jr., Bill Richards, Norman Anderson and Mr. Blair’s engineer recently. Waiting on paperwork. Mr. Becker moved to continue the hearing to
December 28, 2009 at 7 pm. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
Parking clerk information from Officer Chauvin. Mr. Becker moved to post the parking clerk job description as presented by Officer Chauvin. Mrs. Dibb seconded. Vote unanimous.
Mrs. Dibb moved signing the warrant for the primary election for Sally Hayden. Ms. Bulger seconded. Vote unanimous.
Special Town Meeting articles & motion preparation discussion: #1 “No Action”, #2 “No Action”, #3 Stabilization Fund for $84,443, #4 “No Action”. (see attached)
Mrs. Dibb moved to adjourn. Mr. Becker seconded. Vote unanimous. Meeting adjourned at 7:45 pm.
Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary
Board of Selectmen