Skip Navigation
Welcome to the website for the town of Rutland, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.

On Our Site
Search Our Site
Site  This Folder
 
Advanced Search


 
September 22, 2008
Board of Selectmen
September 22, 2008
Community Hall Annex
6:00 p.m.

Present:  Joseph R. Becker – Chairman, Leroy C. Clark - Vice Chairman, Douglas C. Briggs, Sheila H. Dibb, Cherilyn A. Bulger and Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary.

Mr. Clark moved to sign Treasury Warrant #7.  Mrs. Dibb seconded.  Vote unanimous.

Minutes:  Mrs. Dibb moved to accept the minutes of August 25, 2008.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.  Mrs. Dibb moved to accept the minutes of September 8, 2008.  Mr. Briggs seconded.  Vote unanimous.

REPORT OF TOWN DEPARTMENTS:
DPW:
Memo regarding water/sewer abatement for town resident.  Mr. Briggs explained that they used the water but not the sewer and suggested they pay for the water and then take the average sewer and subtract that amount from the sewer usage.  The Board agreed.  Mrs. Dibb asked DPW to send a letter explaining how the amount was calculated.
Mrs. Dibb questioned interim Superintendent Jim MacCallum on Route 68 to which he answered that it isn’t finished but the base coat is on.

POLICE:
Mr. Briggs moved to nominate Richard G. Kraskinskas to part-time police officer per Chief Baril’s recommendation. Mrs. Dibb seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Chief Baril informed the Board that he is applying for the Community Policing Grant ($11,299).
Officer Marino presented the Board with paperwork regarding the use of flagmen.  Some discussion.  Chief Baril feels police officers should continue to be used.  Mr. Briggs will contact Attorney Jenkins.
Letter from Hubbardston regarding regional dispatch.  Mrs. Dibb will draft a letter to Hubbardston stating that we are open to dialogue.

FIRE:
Chief Ruchala was not present.

OPEN SESSION:
6:30 - Johnny Suire is seeking appointment to the Cable Advisory Committee.  Mr. Suire explained that he works for public access and is a five-year Rutland resident.  He knows there is some animosity on the present board due to the airing of a particular show in Holden, but feels he still would like to work with the Rutland Board and his knowledge and expertise would be a great asset to the Board.  Mr. Redfield explained to the Board that other people have expressed interest in joining.  Mr. Briggs moved to appoint Mr. Suire to the Cable Advisory Committee.  Mrs. Dibb seconded.  Vote unanimous.


CORRESPONDENCE:
Chairman Becker read a letter from Dr. Pandiscio stating that he will be recommending a reduction to the member town assessments at the next committee meeting – approximately 67,000 for Rutland.  Mike Pantos, school committee member, was in the audience and Mr. Becker thanked him for all his work.
Letter from Rutland residents regarding the use of outdoor wood burning appliances and the concerns/problems they present.  The letter will be forwarded to the Fire Department, Board of Health and Planning Board.
Mr. Becker read a letter from the DEP regarding a site meeting at Glenwood Elementary on Friday, September 26, 2008.  Mr. Clark and Mrs. Dibb will attend.  Mr. Becker explained that Town Counsel, Representative Evangelidis and a representative from Senator Brewer’s office will be going as well.
Chairman Becker introduced two generic draft contracts from Kang Associates for the primary building.  At the next Special Town Meeting, Mr. Becker would like to inform the voters and to have an article on the warrant transferring money from the original article on the primary building to use toward Phases 1 through 4.  Mr. Briggs and Mr. Clark are in agreement.  Lengthy discussion.  Mr. Briggs moved to place an article on the Special Town Meeting warrant transferring $37,000 from the original renovation article for the primary building to use for architectural drawings on the primary building.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.  Mr. Becker will contact Kaffee Kang.
An email from Mark Morse, MMA, was read concerning the survey/analysis cost of the job classifications for town employees.
Chairman Becker read a letter from Worcester State College inviting the Board to a meeting on October 2nd at 7:30 am regarding the RDIC and sustainable energy options.
Letter from Lori A. O’Connor requesting the re-zoning of her property at 107 Main Street.  Mr. Briggs suggested forwarding the letter to the Planning Board.

NEW BUSINESS:
Revised Safe Place Handbook for Selectmen approval.  Mr. Briggs moved to approve/accept the Handbook.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Resignations:  Mr. Briggs moved to accept the resignation of Nancy Burbank as the representative to Elderbus.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Mr. Briggs moved to accept the resignation of Daniel Helle from RDIC with regrets.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.

OLD BUSINESS:
*  Mr. Clark moved to sign the liquor license for “Tavern on the Common”.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.
*  Mr. Clark moved the implementation of a sexual harassment policy.  Mrs. Dibb seconded for discussion.  Mr. Becker explained that this was brought up once but there were questions on how to enforce the policy with regards to elected boards.  Lengthy discussion.  Mr. Briggs suggested a sign off sheet once all elected boards have read the policy and agreed to it.  Mr. Clark amended his motion to include, Town Administrator or appropriate elected board to the end of the first sentence in Section III.  And in Section IV, to add to the first sentence - Town Administrator or appropriate elected board.  Also to include a sign off sheet for all elected boards.  Vote unanimous.  It will also be shared with all departments, boards and committees that fall under the Board of Selectmen.
*  Road dedication – Mr. Becker will contact Mr. Cornacchioli and asked the Board to submit criteria they would like to see used.
*  Recreation Safe Place Salary Matrix – Question as to whether the Safe Place employees should remain on their own matrix or be added to the general government matrix and to include them in the study by the MMA.  Ms. Bulger expressed her disappointment with the term “seasonal” being used to describe the Safe Place employees when in fact, according to MGL, they are not classified as “seasonal”.  Mr. Briggs feels they should remain on their own matrix due to being self funded and also feels they should be entitled to whatever raises are given to employees on the general government matrix.  Some discussion.  Mr. Becker will contact the Recreation committee to relay the information discussed this evening.

Mr. Briggs stated that he has been in contact with the Town Accountant who informed him that it should not be a problem in getting the certified free cash prior to the Special Town Meeting.  The Town Accountant would like to close out some outstanding articles from prior town meetings which he will have done by the end of this week.

Minor discussion on articles for October 20th Special Town Meeting.

ADJOURN:
Mr. Briggs moved to adjourn.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.  The meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.

Respectfully submitted,


Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary
Board of Selectmen



 
Town of Rutland 250 Main Street, Rutland, MA 01543   Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website