Skip Navigation
Welcome to the website for the town of Rutland, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.

On Our Site
Search Our Site
Site  This Folder
 
Advanced Search
 
September 8, 2008
Board of Selectmen
September 8, 2008
Community Hall Annex
6:00 p.m.

Present:  Joseph R. Becker – Chairman, Leroy C. Clark - Vice Chairman, Douglas C. Briggs, Sheila H. Dibb, Cherilyn A. Bulger and Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary.

Mr. Clark moved to sign Treasury Warrant #6.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.

Minutes:  Mr. Clark moved to accept the minutes of August 11, 2008.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Mr. Becker would like to note the time the meeting was called to order was
6 pm, not 6:30 pm.  Vote unanimous as amended with Mr. Briggs abstaining.

Colleen Cipro, Wachusett Regional School Committee member, introduced herself to the Board and extended an invitation to the ribbon cutting ceremony on September 21st at noon at Wachusett Regional High School in honor of its completion.  Discussion on the revised FY 2009 assessment letter.  Mr. Pantos explained that the money will be used as a buffer for this year and any unused money would offset FY 2010.  Mr. Becker feels this increases the starting point for FY 2010 and is bothered that it was not used this year.
Mr. Pantos offered the services of Bay Path students to hang blinds in the area where Selectmen’s meetings are held as a Community Outreach Service.

REPORT OF TOWN DEPARTMENTS:
DPW:
Jim MacCallum informed the Board of the upcoming increases regarding Constellation New Energy as the contract will be ending December, 2009.  The company suggested blending or easing into the increase now to avoid a huge increase later.  Mr. Becker and Ms. Dibb suggested taking no action now.  Mr. MacCallum also informed the Board of a recent trench safety seminar he attended regarding the permitting process.  He explained that he is now required to issue permits for trenches over three feet deep, but is not required to police the area or enforce it.  The water operator position will be re-advertized.
Mr. MacCallum submitted paperwork pertaining to indirect charges (tracking hours on specific DPW equipment).  Copies of the existing and proposed sewer regulations will be given to all who do not have copies in preparation for the meeting on September 15th.  Chairman Becker would like to get a cost for line painting in the roads before the October Special Town Meeting.  Mrs. Dibb would like to get the state roadway crosswalks painted.
Mr. Dick Williams will look into the lighting at Rutland Heights Hospital by filling out the application.  Mr. Williams also informed the Board of the some issues with the resurfacing work being done on Route 68.

POLICE:
The Police Chief said he had nothing for the Board. Mr. Clark asked the Police Chief if it was possible to rewrite his Annual Town Report with a positive tone rather than negative.  The Chief explained that the contents of his report are accurate and there was nothing he cared to change.  Mr. Becker stated that there are two items which are not pleasing to him and would like them removed from the report - 1) pay raises and 2) reclassifying the secretary position, but the rest is very professional.  Chief Baril will consider the request to revise his report.

FIRE:
9/11 Ceremony will be held on September 11th at 9:45 am at the Fire Station.  Mr. Clark and Mrs. Dibb will attend.  Chief Ruchala stated that Michael Mullen has been rehired as a firefighter/EMT – Paramedic at G9/s2.  Hubbardston is looking at bringing its Dispatch to Rutland – brief discussion. Chief Ruchala informed the Board that he will not be at the next meeting as he will be on vacation.  Mr. Clark questioned the Chief as to the progress on the RFP for the cell tower to which the Chief responded that it had not been started.  He stated that he is waiting for input from the Board.  Chief Ruchala recently attended a trench safety seminar with Jim MacCallum, interim DPW Superintendent.

OPEN SESSION:
6:30 pm - Continuation of a pole hearing on Joanna Drive.  Discussion on procedure.  Mr. Briggs moved to Install a  cable and conduit system beginning at P-50-53, approximately 354 feet from the intersection of Treasure Valley Road and the extending 335 feet in an easterly direction ending at a secondary hand hole on Lot 3 Joanna Drive.  Purpose is to provide underground service to Lot 1.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Vote unanimous.  Mr. Becker closed the hearing.

6:45 pm – Kaffee Kang, Kang Associates - to discuss the Primary Building renovation.  Information was shared with the Board with regards to phases, costs, timelines, etc.  Ms. Kang will draft an AIA form to carry through phase 4.  Some discussion on the use of a project manager.

CORRESPONDENCE:
MMA is holding a statewide essay contest for sixth graders.  Mike Pantos, WRSC member, will bring it up with the CTMS principal.
Memo from Recreation regarding the Safe Place employees and their status as “seasonal employees”.  Some discussion on the different matrix systems used.  A memo will be sent to the Recreation Committee Chairman requesting to be added to the agenda at their next meeting on September 18th to discuss further.
Memo from Sally Hayden looking for permission to clean up the “stage” area upstairs in the Town Hall.  A memo will be sent to Mrs. Hayden giving her permission to move forward in her mission to clean the area with exception of the files recently moved by the Planning Board which the Selectboard gave them permission to do.
A letter from the Cable Advisory Committee recommending not appointing Johnny Suire.
Mr. Briggs is disappointed with the recommendation as there are two vacancies and this individual is more than qualified.  Mr. Briggs moved to appoint Johnny Suire to the Cable Advisory Committee.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Discussion – Mr. Addison Redfield informed the Board that the existing committee is functioning very well and would like to remain as a three-member board.  Motion failed 3 – 2 with Mr. Briggs and Ms. Bulger in favor of and Mr. Clark, Mr. Becker and Mrs. Dibb as nays.  The Selectboard agreed to send a letter to Mr. Suire inviting him to the next meeting.  
Norman Anderson, Planning Board Chairman, presented a new zoning map (computer based GIS) and associated documents (a book referencing every zoning change in the town’s history) that he would like added to the Special Town Meeting for acceptance.  Mr. Briggs moved to allow the Planning Board to set a hearing date.  Mrs. Dibb seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Sally Hayden sent a memo requesting the Selectmen sign four copies of the Continuing Disclosure Certificates for Rutland relating to WRSD $6,100,000 General Obligation School Bond.  Mr. Briggs moved to sign.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Sewer Rate Relief Fund – Mr. Becker would like to check with the town clerk to verify if the $448,000 recently borrowed should be added.  Mr. Briggs moved to sign contingent on the verification.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.

NEW BUSINESS:
The Board will be posting the Electrical Inspector’s position.  Lester Grace, alternate inspector, is interested and will fill out an application.  He will remain as the alternate for the time being.
Rutland Heights Hospital financing – Mr. Briggs suggested short-term borrowing.  Some discussion.  A memo will be sent to Sally Hayden inviting her to the next meeting to discuss further.
Mrs. Dibb informed the Board that she has been in contact with USDA regarding the compliance review and the transition plan and will forward a letter.
Regional Boards of Selectmen – Mrs. Dibb has suggested two dates and would like to move forward on this.
Mrs. Dibb would like to pursue “Read for the Record” campaign again this year on October 2nd.  She will send notices to schools, preschools and libraries requesting that they be a part of it and that the Selectmen are willing to read.  Mrs. Dibb moved to join “Read for the Record”.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Mr. Clark is in favor of sending the letter only; not offering the department heads to do the reading. Vote unanimous.
Mrs. Dibb presented a letter she drafted to the West Boylston Selectmen pertaining to Wachusett Earthday.  Mr. D’Auteuil asked the Board to hold the letter until after the meeting on Friday, September 12th to which the Board agreed.
Mrs. Dibb asked the Board if they were in favor of adding the dog by-laws to the Special Town Meeting warrant.  Mrs. Dibb will provide the Board with copies of the by-laws in order to make an informed decision.
Mr. Briggs informed the Board that free cash has not been certified and that Sally Hayden will be contacting the Town Accountant this week.  Mr. Becker asked what the Board’s options were should the numbers not be available by the Special Town Meeting.  Mr. Briggs suggested taking care of other business on the warrant and then recessing until the time that the figures do become available.

OLD BUSINESS:
Mr. Becker informed the Board that he spoke to Mr. Cornacchioli regarding the road dedication he brought up at an earlier meeting.  Mr. Cornacchioli will gather more information to come back to the Board in two weeks.
Mr. Becker would like to reinitiate discussion on the unsigned Sewer Use Agreement between the Town and DCR.  Mr. Clark moved to send a memo to the DCR.  Mrs. Dibb seconded.  Vote unanimous.
Mrs. Dibb revisited the grant writing workshop suggested by a resident.  Mrs. Dibb explained that Mrs. Kelley has put a lot of work into this and would like to see it move forward.  Mr. Becker is not comfortable with the Town being involved in a “for profit” company that wants to use Town facilities.  Mr. Briggs also feels that the Town should not be involved in this.  Mrs. Dibb moved to host the grant writing seminar.  Ms. Bulger seconded.  Discussion.  Vote was Mr. Becker, Mr. Briggs and Mr. Clark – nay.  Mrs. Dibb aye.  Ms. Bulger abstained.

ADJOURN:
Mr. Briggs moved to adjourn.  Mr. Clark seconded.  Vote unanimous.  The meeting adjourned at 9:20 pm.

Respectfully submitted,


Nancy M. Macaruso, Secretary
Board of Selectmen



 
Town of Rutland 250 Main Street, Rutland, MA 01543   Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website